Wednesday, November 03, 2004

This is a democracy. And this is how it works. We should feel lucky that it works this well. Our electoral system may be a little bit terrible and completely without logical function but its what we have. You make your own future. A man in a little oval office doesnt decide it for you. I understand that some of you fear that irreperable damage could be done in the next four years, but putting up annoying away messages isnt going to change that and there is no telling if another president would have changed that either.
There were record turn outs at the poles..coming from someone who is writing a paper on voter turnout at the moment, you should understand what a great accomplishment for our country this is.

The way I see it, I don't live in communist Russia. I am not fighting for my right to live without a shroud and veil. I am not being beaten to a pulp by officers of the government because of my religious beliefs. I got to vote. So did everyone else. And this is how it worked out. Our country was divided.. as they have a right to be. And yes, sometimes I think it is frustrating and sad that we don't ever get more than two options... more chances to find someone who truly represents all of our beliefs instead of just our fiscal beliefs or some of our social beliefs or a vague combination of the two. But I think it is imporatantt to understand that for every Kerry voter that felt passionate and desperate there was a Bush voter that felt passionate and desperate too.

This election was an imporant one. And whether you are currently celebrating or concocting a plan to move to France ... at least take a single second to stop and think that no matter what the outcome... this process was very American.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it would be *more* american if my vote made a difference, but since i dont live in one of those jazzy swing states, sadly i can't say i felt as if it did....in fact, im not sure any of the candidates made it to my state to campaign...all i can say is that i think its time for some electoral system reform, or at least some uniformity in the process....

anywho...keep up the blog jenn...its great for my procrastinating....

you can probably guess who this is based on the "....." so ill keep it our little secret....

PS: WAY TO GO TIGERS......